Most Popular Applications of Air Compressors
Air compressors are incredibly valuable tools. They are used in a variety of industries, because they offer so many different benefits. Companies around the world spent over $30 billion on air compressors in 2018 alone and this market will keep growing over the next few years.
- 1 Common Applications for Air Compressors
- 2 What to take into consideration when you are looking for an air compressor
Common Applications for Air Compressors
What are some of the most common reasons people use air compressors? Keep reading to learn more. Also, make sure you know where to purchase air compressor parts.
You obviously need an air tank if you are going scuba diving. Most people don’t give much thought to how these air tanks work. They might assume that you can just leave a tank open and let air fill it on its own. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that.
Air in scuba tanks would not last very long if it wasn’t compressed. Air compressors help scuba divers store a lot more air in the same volume. This allows them to go diving for longer periods of time before needing to return to the surface.
You might wonder what role air compressors could possibly play in pressure washing. After all, pressure washers use water, rather than air to clean surfaces.
The answer is that pressure washers depend on compressed air to pump the water. Compressed air can be released at a very high force, which pushes water, whether that’s normal or distilled (buy distilled water here), out at a very high velocity. This helps clean surfaces much more efficiently.
Refrigerators and freezers couldn’t work without compressed air. Cooling systems depend on coolant fluids passing through the system to absorb heat. It would be virtually impossible to circulate coolant without enough compressed air.
This is the most common use of compressed air. Although data on market segments is difficult to come by, it is highly possible that the refrigeration and cooling industry accounts for at least 60% of the demand for air compressors.
Air compressors are also very important to mechanics. Whether a mechanic is trying to fix a car, a tractor or an aircraft, air compressors are vital for many purposes.
Air compressors are used for everything from removing lug nuts from wheels, lifting cars with hydraulic jacks and stripping paint from a car. Some of the most important tasks could not be completed without them.
What to take into consideration when you are looking for an air compressor
As stated above, there are many important applications for air compressors. However, it can be difficult to figure out what you should be looking for when purchasing an air compressor. Here are some important guidelines to follow.
Be aware of the different types of air compressors on the market
There isn’t just one style of air compressor. There are a number of which have their own benefits and applications. Here are some of the most common:
- Rotary screw. Rotary screw air compressors use pairs of screws to yield the highest amount of air intake possible. Rotary screw air compressors are primarily used for heavy duty applications. They aren’t usually the types of air compressor that you will need for typical residential projects, such as power washing your driveway.
- Piston. Piston air compressors are powered by pistons that are driven by crankshafts. This air compressors are frequently used in the agricultural industry. One of the biggest benefits of piston air compressors is that they produce a lot of power with very little energy. However, they also have the drawback of producing a lot of excess heat, which can be a challenge if they are used frequently without the right cooling systems involved.
- Scroll. Scroll air compressors use a pair of scrolls with spiral shapes. They have fewer moving parts than most other air compressors and can operate across a wide range of intensity levels. They can be useful for people that need air compressors for different applications where the output might vary from one project to the next.
You will want to consider the type of projects you will be working on when looking for an air compressor. This will help you choose the best one.
Check Reviews from Industry Journals
You also need to look at reviews from leading industry journals. A lot of popular magazines and websites focus specifically on reviewing tools like air compressors. Pro Tool Reviews and Popular Mechanics are two of the best places to look at reviews for air compressors. You should also look at broader review journals with solid reputations like Consumer Reports. It is also a good idea to look at publications on the specific industry. For example, some diving magazines reported that certain crowdsourced compressors for scuba tanks are unsafe.
You also have to think about the costs of buying a new air compressor. However, you have to be careful about skimping too much on price. You will get what you pay for. At the same time, you might find some great wholesalers or used suppliers that can give the same air compressor at a lower price.