We’ve recently sorted out how to fix the Steam icons missing issue as there are almost no tutorials for that over the internet. And we are going to share it here so you can also get rid of the annoyance it causes. Read on to discover how it’s done.
Steam, the unrivaled gaming destination, lets you enjoy, discuss and create exciting PC games. The cloud-based gaming library hosts thousands of games from renowned gaming developers and their indie game developers’ mods. You can store a vast collection of games without overloading your PC’s memory. Plus, the platform allows gaming from any computer that has a Steam engine installed in it. The app offers access to the games and forums library. Let us learn the ways to fix steam icons.
- 1 Fix Steam Icons Missing
- 1.1 Way 1: Fixing through Steam App
- 1.2 Way 2: Through Games Directory
- 1.3 Way 3:- Repair the Icons
- 1.4 Way 4: Clearing IconCache.DB
- 1.5 Way 5:- Setting up games Directory:
- 1.6 Way 6:- Clearing the Steam Web Browser Cache and Cookies
- 1.7 Way 8:- Updating Graphics Drivers
- 1.8 Way 9:- Rebuilding Icon Cache in Windows
- 2 What could be the reasons for Steam game icons appearing as blank or missing on the Windows desktop?
- 3 Conclusion
Why Do Steam Icons Go Missing?
Understanding why this issue occurs is pivotal to preventing it in the future. Some probable reasons include:
- Corrupted Cache Files: Temporary files or cache might get corrupted and lead to the loss of game icons.
- Incomplete Updates: Sometimes, if a game update or Steam update is not properly installed or is interrupted, it might cause display issues.
- Software Conflicts: Another software or application running on your system may interfere with Steam.
- Graphical Errors: GPU drivers might be outdated or corrupted, affecting icon display.
Fix Steam Icons Missing
Scroll on and try the four different ways to solve the ‘Steam game shortcuts no icon’ issue. Best of luck!
Way 1: Fixing through Steam App
- Launch the Steam app.
- Move to the Library tab.
- Find the game you want from the available list of games.
- Right-click on it and open Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab in the new window that opens up.
- Select Browse Local Files. It redirects you to a File Explorer showing the folder with game files in it.
- Look for the .exe game file.
- Right-click on its icon and choose Copy.
- Right-click on your desktop screen and hit Paste Shortcut.
- A shortcut icon will appear on your desktop.
Way 2: Through Games Directory
If you possess Steam games installed on another HDD, attempt the following steps.
Setup Games Directory
Before fixing the steam icons problem, you need to set up your game directory. Follow these steps to do so.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Go to Settings > Library Folders.
- Click on Add Library Folder and mention the proper path where your games are located on HDD. For example: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common.
- Once you have added your new directory, right-click on it and choose ‘Make Default Folder.’
Way 3:- Repair the Icons
Steam can detect all games in your game’s directory. After doing that, you copy the game folder for which you wish to fix the Steam icon. Follow these steps.
- Please right-click on the game in your library and open its Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab.
- Hit Browse Local Files.
- Copy and paste the game file on your desktop.
- Right-click on the same game in your library and choose to Delete Local Content.
- Copy the game back into the Steam library.
- Click on Install via Steam Library. Now it will rediscover your game files.
- Create a game shortcut on your desktop (if it is not present already).
- Open C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games, and you will see the game icons downloaded by Steam.
- Open Properties of the shortcut icon.
- Choose the Change Icon option and locate the icon for that shortcut in C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games.
- Hit Apply, and you are done!
Way 4: Clearing IconCache.DB
If the issue persists, check if the Windows leads the icons to disappear, not only for Steam. Go to your app data and attempt clearing IconCache.DB.
We hope that it solves the Steam shortcuts no icon problem.
Way 5:- Setting up games Directory:
- So the first thing you wish to do is open Steam and go into Steam — > settings —-> steam library folders.
- Now select add library folder and look for the other HDD your steam games reside.
- Now that you have put your new steam game directory, right-click on it to “make default folder.“
- After Steam has detected all your games in your game directory, you wish to copy the game folder, and you have to repair the steam icon.
- Right-click onto the game in your Steam library and selected properties, click on the Local files tab, then open browse local files.
- Copy it to your desktop, then right-click onto the game in your Steam library and ” delete local content.”
- Next, copy it back into your game directory and click install via the steam library.
- Once it rediscovers the files and installs, form a desktop shortcut (If not already one on desktop)
- Now select C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games. You look at thumbnail icons that Steam has downloaded to your PC.
- Right-click onto the shortcut and open properties.
- Next, click the change icon and locate the game icon for that shortcut in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games.
- Choose to apply, and that’s how you fix it.
Way 6:- Clearing the Steam Web Browser Cache and Cookies
Steam’s web browser stores cached data and cookies to expedite loading times, but sometimes these files can become corrupted. To clear them:
- Navigate to “Steam” on the top left corner, and click on “Settings”.
- In the settings, select “Web Browser”.
- Click on “Delete Web Browser Cache” and “Delete All Browser Cookies”.
- Restart Steam and check if the game icons reappear.
Way 7:- Verifying Game File Integrity
This ensures all game files are correctly installed and updates any missing or corrupted files.
- Right-click on the game (with the missing icon) in your Steam Library.
- Navigate to “Properties” and go to the “Local Files” tab.
- Click on “Verify Integrity of Game Files”.
- Steam will check and replace any missing or corrupted game files.
Way 8:- Updating Graphics Drivers
Outdated graphics drivers might be the root cause of the display issues.
- Visit the official website of your graphics card manufacturer (e.g., NVIDIA, AMD, or Intel).
- Download the latest drivers and follow the installation instructions.
- Restart your computer and check if the icons are visible.
Way 9:- Rebuilding Icon Cache in Windows
Rebuilding the icon cache in Windows can sometimes resolve display issues with desktop shortcuts.
- Close all open applications and ensure you save any ongoing work as you’ll need to restart your computer.
- Open Windows Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each one:
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
del /A /Q %localappdata%\IconCache.db
shutdown /r /f /t 00
- Your computer will restart, rebuilding the icon cache.
What could be the reasons for Steam game icons appearing as blank or missing on the Windows desktop?
There could be several reasons why Steam game icons on the Windows desktop are blank or missing. Here are some possible causes and solutions:
- Game not properly installed: If the game was not installed correctly, it can result in missing or blank icons. Try reinstalling the game to see if it resolves the issue.
- Corrupted game files: Sometimes, game files can become corrupted, leading to missing icons. Verify the integrity of the game files through Steam by right-clicking on the game in your library, selecting “Properties,” navigating to the “Local Files” tab, and clicking “Verify Integrity of Game Files.”
- Steam client issues: The Steam client itself may encounter issues that affect the display of game icons. Try restarting the Steam client or even your computer to see if it resolves the problem.
- Icon cache corruption: The Windows icon cache, which stores icon images for quicker access, can become corrupted and cause missing or blank icons. You can reset the icon cache by following these steps:a. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box. b. Type “cmd” and press Enter to open the Command Prompt. c. In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press Enter:
div class=”bg-black rounded-md mb-4″>sql
d. After the command executes, type the following command and press Enter:r
taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F
e. Finally, type the following command and press Enter to restart the explorer process:sql
- Display scaling settings: Windows scaling settings can sometimes affect the display of icons. If you have customized the scaling settings, try reverting them to the default value to see if it resolves the issue.
- Third-party software conflict: Some third-party software, such as antivirus programs or system optimization tools, can interfere with the display of icons. Temporarily disable such software to check if it is causing the problem.
If none of these solutions work, you may want to reach out to Steam Support for further assistance, as they can provide more specific troubleshooting steps based on your system configuration.
If you are experiencing missing or blank Steam game icons on your Windows desktop, there are several potential solutions to consider. First, ensure that the game is properly installed and try reinstalling it if necessary. Additionally, verify the integrity of the game files through Steam. Restarting the Steam client or your computer may also resolve the issue.
Resetting the Windows icon cache can help if it has become corrupted. Adjusting display scaling settings and temporarily disabling conflicting third-party software are other steps to try. If none of these solutions work, contacting Steam Support for further assistance is recommended. By following these troubleshooting steps, you should be able to resolve the issue and restore the missing or blank Steam game icons on your Windows desktop.