We’ve recently sorted out how to fix the Steam icons missing issue as there are almost no tutorials for that over the internet. And we are going to share it here so you can also get rid of the annoyance it causes. Read on to discover how it’s done.
Steam, the unrivaled gaming destination, lets you enjoy, discuss and create exciting PC games. The cloud-based gaming library hosts thousands of games from renowned gaming developers and their indie game developers’ mods. You can store a vast collection of games without overloading your PC’s memory. Plus, the platform allows gaming from any computer that has a Steam engine installed in it. The app offers access to the games and forums library. Let us learn the ways to fix steam icons.
Fix Steam Icons Missing
Scroll on and try the four different ways to solve the ‘Steam game shortcuts no icon’ issue. Best of luck!
Way 1: Fixing through Steam App
- Launch the Steam app.
- Move to the Library tab.
- Find the game you want from the available list of games.
- Right-click on it and open Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab in the new window that opens up.
- Select Browse Local Files. It redirects you to a File Explorer showing the folder with game files in it.
- Look for the .exe game file.
- Right-click on its icon and choose Copy.
- Right-click on your desktop screen and hit Paste Shortcut.
- A shortcut icon will appear on your desktop.
Way 2: Through Games Directory
If you possess Steam games installed on another HDD, attempt the following steps.
Setup Games Directory
Before fixing the steam icons problem, you need to set up your game directory. Follow these steps to do so.
- Launch the Steam app.
- Go to Settings > Library Folders.
- Click on Add Library Folder and mention the proper path where your games are located on HDD. For example: E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common.
- Once you have added your new directory, right-click on it and choose ‘Make Default Folder.’
Way 3:- Repair the Icons
Steam can detect all games in your game’s directory. After doing that, you copy the game folder for which you wish to fix the Steam icon. Follow these steps.
- Please right-click on the game in your library and open its Properties.
- Move to the Local Files tab.
- Hit Browse Local Files.
- Copy and paste the game file on your desktop.
- Right-click on the same game in your library and choose to Delete Local Content.
- Copy the game back into the Steam library.
- Click on Install via Steam Library. Now it will rediscover your game files.
- Create a game shortcut on your desktop (if it is not present already).
- Open C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games, and you will see the game icons downloaded by Steam.
- Open Properties of the shortcut icon.
- Choose the Change Icon option and locate the icon for that shortcut in C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam\steam\games.
- Hit Apply, and you are done!
Way 4: Clearing IconCache.DB
If the issue persists, check if the Windows leads the icons to disappear, not only for Steam. Go to your app data and attempt clearing IconCache.DB.
We hope that it solves the Steam shortcuts no icon problem.
Way 5:- Setting up games Directory:
- So the first thing you wish to do is open Steam and go into Steam — > settings —-> steam library folders.
- Now select add library folder and look for the other HDD your steam games reside.
- Now that you have put your new steam game directory, right-click on it to “make default folder.“
- After Steam has detected all your games in your game directory, you wish to copy the game folder, and you have to repair the steam icon.
- Right-click onto the game in your Steam library and selected properties, click on the Local files tab, then open browse local files.
- Copy it to your desktop, then right-click onto the game in your Steam library and ” delete local content.”
- Next, copy it back into your game directory and click install via the steam library.
- Once it rediscovers the files and installs, form a desktop shortcut (If not already one on desktop)
- Now select C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games. You look at thumbnail icons that Steam has downloaded to your PC.
- Right-click onto the shortcut and open properties.
- Next, click the change icon and locate the game icon for that shortcut in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam\games.
- Choose to apply, and that’s how you fix it.
Hence, this is how to fix the steam icons.