Reddit is mostly flooded with users reporting a new error in Steam of the content file. It basically happens when accessing Content file which shows that it is locked when someone tries updating few games. To get rid of the error, our team did some research and found that the best way to fix the error is by resetting the Winsock. Don’t know what is Winsock and how to reset it? Just follow the whole article and by the end, you will be able to reset it successfully.
Disclaimer: “The Geekybytes team is not responsible for any corruption or malfunction of system due to the fix.”
Steps to fix the Content File Locked Error
1. Resetting the Winsock
This is one among the best way to fix the Content file locked error. Followed are some steps after which the winsock will be working more smoothly without any error.
- Start by pressing Windows +R.
- It will open the run dialog box.
- In the same box, type netsh winsock reset.
- Press enter.
After all of this, restart the computer successfully and check if the problem is solved.
2. Changing Steam and Game’s file location
Move to the following steps to have a clear overview of the steps involved.
- Move to the Steam app.
- Click Settings.
- In the next pane, select downloads and select a steam library folder.
- Click the add library folder and select a fresh location.
- Close app after which the default location will be C:\Program Files\Steam.
- After doing all of this, delete the .exe file excluding UserData, SteamApp files.
If the problem is still not fixed, follow the steps below.
- Close the Steam client.
- After that, move to the fresh Steam location.
- Locate to the SteamApps file from the directory.
- Now, uninstall the Steam app.
- After that, install Steam.
- Again, locate to the SteamApps file from the list.
- Click the steam file and enter the log-in credentials.
However, files can also be moved automatically. Just follow the steps below.
- Right-click and open the preferred game.
- After that, open Properties.
- Locate to Local Files.
- Select and open Move Install Folder.
- Finally, browse to the fresh location and click the option.
3. Checking for Antivirus
It has been seen that in some cases, the Content file locked Steam error may have been occurring due to of antivirus. A user can disable it while it updates the program.
After all of this, if disabling the antivirus does not work, uninstall the antivirus.
We hope that the steps were helpful and you were able to get rid of the error of Steam client.
Still, have any questions? Comment down below and our team will help you get rid of it.